Thursday, February 16, 2006

The Bush

I know, I know . . . it's been way too long since I've updated y'all on my Nigeria trip. Suffice it to say that I'm back safe and sound, but I've been running around "like a chicken with my head cut off" trying to get everything accomplished now that I'm back in country.

I've had many people lately ask me about "the bush" in Nigeria. What is "the bush?" Well . . . it's exactly what it sounds like:


You know, when I think of Africa . . . I often think of the many wild animals that roam the land. Hmmm . . . maybe other parts of the continent, but definitely not in West Africa. There's very little water, and unfortunately most of the animals have either migrated or been served up for dinner. (We often saw people hunting for rats or other small animals that are still around . . . in the hopes of finding their next meal.)

One thing that definitely still stands out in my mind is the attitudes of the people. In spite of the lack of food and water or the dry, hot, dusty climate . . . they were so happy with their lives and content with their lifestyles. Everyone we encountered greeted us eagerly and with a smile. I've heard so much about the danger and the crime, but God must have really protected us as we traveled, because we really didn't experience that side of Nigeria. Quite the opposite in fact, and I would readily return -- in a heartbeat!

No comments: