Thursday, March 08, 2007

In the Minority

I have traveled to Thailand on many occasions, and although this particular trip was primarily for various meetings, it was a wonderful experience none-the-less. We were able to venture around the city periodically, and I was once again exposed to some of the culture. First, let me say that the Thai people are extremely kind and generous and definitely a joy to know. But unfortunately many of them do not know our Lord and Savior.

In fact, once you read the statistics below . . . you’ll understand the desperate need for believers around the world to be praying for the people of Thailand.


According to the CIA world factbook (www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook), here is the breakdown of religions in Thailand.
94.6% - Buddhist
4.6% - Muslim
0.7% - Christian
0.1% - Other

Now if that isn’t heartbreaking . . . then I don’t know what is. PLEASE pray for the name of Jesus Christ to be known and for His light to shine through the vast spiritual darkness in Thailand!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some very beautiful pictures. I do wonder, however, why you are so sad for them? I only hope you realize that their gods are as important and beloved to them as yours are to you. They are not godless, just of a different god.I mean no disrespect to you or your religion. I am simply curious.

Margie said...

Thank you for your comment! In response, I have no doubt that their gods are extremely important to them... as I have witnessed first-hand on many occasions. And I certainly do not mean to disrespect the Thai people in any way. But ever since learning about and believing in the one true God, I cannot help but want to share Him with others.

So many people (all around the world) are seeking for someone or something to believe in... and end up worshiping man-made items or false gods or parts of creation. The list goes on and on. The religions go on and on. As for me, I don't "practice a religion," but I try to live my faith. There is a difference. The name of the religion is not what is important. What is imperative are the beliefs that one holds and lives by. Does that make sense?

There is one Creator who is the Beginning and the End. He is salvation and trust and hope and love. He has given everything so that I can personally know Him. And so that you can personally know Him. Experiencing His love and knowing His sacrifice... inspires me to want to worship and glorify Him. He gives us two commands: love Him (God) and love others. And everything else falls under those two things. My faith is not about "doing" but about "believing" and about "loving." And my desire is to share my God with anyone... with everyone.

I cannot fault people for bowing down to idols or worshiping other gods. Because it is my responsibility - and the responsibility of other believers in Jesus Christ - to share God's story of Love. How can they know the truth if we don't tell them? That's what breaks my heart... that they are blind to the Truth.

It is not my responsibility to make someone believe what I do. God gives everyone a choice. And ultimately, everyone must choose. But it is my responsibility to tell others about Jesus Christ and to love people unconditionally... regardless of the decisions they make.

Am I there yet? No. Will I ever be? Probably not. But I will keep striving to become the woman that God has created me to be. And that is to love Him and love others.