Saturday, November 19, 2005

Humbled in China

Traveling throughout southern CHINA was definitely an adventure and much different then my previous trips to this country. Everyone was wonderful, and I am still convinced that the Chinese people are some of the most generous people that I've ever met.
One of the highlights of my travels was the opportunity to talk with two Chinese believers (teenage girls). Both of them shared their testimonies and discussed various topics about being believers in China: their house church, worship, fear, daily persecutions and dangers, faith, witnessing/sharing with others, prayer requests, etc. Listening to their stories and their faith in the midst of constant danger humbled me and reminded me of how much I often take for granted.

In fact, returning to worship in my stateside church has been challenging. How many of us sing songs about “giving everything to Him” and “being willing to die for Him” without realizing the words that we’re speaking? So often we are “mediocre” Christians who tend to praise ourselves when all we do is show up to church once or twice a week. I was angry and then heartbroken when I showed up to a prayer gathering immediately following this trip. There were only three of us present! Those girls – and other believers – in China would give anything to be able to openly meet with other Christians in prayer and worship. They face danger just by carrying their Bibles, bowing their heads in prayer, or talking about their faith with others. Here in the States . . . we have that freedom. And yet so many of us don’t respond to the opportunities that we’re given. I’ve been a roller-coaster of emotions since returning, and I don’t even know how to put everything into words. I just want so badly to find a way to make people understand . . . to let them hear what I heard . . . to show them the importance of living Christ and sharing Christ . . . and praying for . . . (I don’t even know where to begin, because there is so much to pray for and so many people that need to be lifted up.) And there is an urgency that I cannot even begin to express!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Amazing! I envy you, world-tripping all over, sharing about Jesus Christ.

I still pray for you. We all still miss you.


Love,
Leighanne