Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A time to give thanks.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow. And I have so much to be thankful for. What keeps coming to mind is a "psalm" that I wrote over two years ago while contemplating all that God has done for me and given me. I've never claimed to be a writer, and I'm not now. But the words are as true today as they were when I first wrote them.

"Loving parents to guide me in His steps, with a father’s strong embrace and a mother’s gentle touch. Cherished sisters to confide in, and a brother’s unwavering loyalty to rely on.

Provisions from my God – gifts unasked, yet treasured above all earth may offer. From a Father who knows all things, a Son who loves more deeply than can be imagined, and a Spirit who guides in the paths of truth and righteousness.

Children to embrace, to love, to share. Nature to enjoy, to touch, to explore. Adventures to experience, to inspire, to create. Each one priceless beyond compare – sent only from heaven above.

Occasions of laughter and tears, joy and sorrow. A broken heart that only God could heal. Overflowing joy from deep within. Memorable moments in time touched by the Master’s hand.

A cleansing of body, soul, and spirit; sin washed away by the richness of His blood. Me, the deserving, spared by His tremendous mercy. Me, the undeserving, gifted through His glorious grace.

As I kneel in His presence, humbled and broken, surrendering my life into His capable hands; He carefully shapes me, gently but firmly. The Creator reforming a life turned astray.

His purposes, His plans, His love, His child; the unworthy given worth, and the valueless becoming valuable. The unlovable gifted with His priceless, immeasurable, unending, unconditional love. Although filthy and sinful, He draws me near His holy presence.

Leading me to forgive through His forgiveness of me. Showing me how to laugh as He fills me with His joy. Teaching me how to comfort by embracing me through my tears. Encouraging me to give as His blessings endlessly pour over me. Inspiring me to dream through the hope He provides. Desiring me to rest in Him as His peace flows within me.

Lord, You are more precious than silver; Lord, You are more costly than gold; Lord, You are more beautiful than diamonds, and nothing I desire compares to You.
Lord, You are more precious than feelings; Lord, You are more costly than life; Lord, You are more beautiful than creation, and nothing I desire compares to You.

Lord, You are more precious than children; Lord, You are more costly than love; Lord, You are more beautiful than my dreams, and nothing I desire compares to You.

May Your desires become mine, Father. May Your Spirit shine through me. As Your Son lives within me, may I glorify You in all that I say and all that I do. Praise be to You, God; all praise and honor and glory forever! This I pray, in Your holy Son’s loving name. Amen."

2 comments:

Deron and Mary Beth Meilstrup said...

I think you definitely are a writer! The psalm is beautiful, full of wisdom, truth and gratitude. Definitely a prayer that I need to echo. - Mary Beth

Anonymous said...

Margie, the Lord has blessed you! I have been greatly encouraged by your testimonies. May God continue to bless your travels. I hope your travels bring you my way some day.
I love you sister and will pray more fervently than ever for you,
Tiana